THE DRAFT MINUTES OF A MEETING OF TARRANT GUNVILLE PARISH COUNCIL HELD ON
Tuesday 1 November 2016
Present: Councillors Jim Shephard (Chair), Alan Bailey, Jim Farquharson, Geoff Percival, Jan Robinson, Chris Tatham
Apologies for absence: no apologies
In attendance: Ian Stone, Parish Clerk
Members of the public: There was 1 member of the public at the meeting
16/25. Welcome and Opening Remarks
The Chairman welcomed everyone to the meeting.
16/26. Minutes of Meeting held on 2 August 2016
These were agreed as a correct record.
16/27. Matters arising from meeting held on 2 August 2016
- Highway Matters (16/16a) The Chairman asked members for any comments on highway issues in the Parish. Members agreed that the work on the river bank had been very satisfactory.
- Great Dorset Steam Fair (16/16b) Cllr Robinson reported that he had attended the Steam Fair Wash up meeting and that the Fair had been very successful. He said that everyone seemed relatively happy with road usage during the Fair. He said there had been discussion of the Travellers Site which had not been much used: the view was that it should be kept to control travellers.
- Superfast Broadband (16/16c) Cllr Bailey reported that the conduit for the broadband was now connected. Ian Stone told the council that he had met Open Reach engineers in the village street who had told him that SSE had given permission for its poles to be used for broadband cabling and this would greatly assist in the work. He had been told that this meant there would now be no need to dig up the road in Stubhampton to lay cables. Jan Robinson said that the next step could be to use the system to introduce Vodafone Sure Signal to the village, and he agreed to make enquiries about this possibility.
- Possible library in Village Hall (16/21) Roger Andrews, Chairman of the Village Hall Committee, said that this proposal was discussed at the recent meeting but was unanimously rejected. He said that committee members expressed concerns about the service being misused, difficulty in finding volunteers and siting the facility. He said that other ways forward were being considered. Alan Bailey said he was disappointed at that response.
Ian Stone said that Tony Langdown, Rights of Way Officer, was unable to attend the meeting but had told him there was nothing new to report.
Roger Andrews, Flood Warden, said he had no items to report.
Cllr Robinson, Homewatch Co-ordinator, said that there were now three villagers trained to carry out Community Speedwatch and a start would be made in the next few months. Cllr Percival said it would be good to get evidence that could extend the speed limit to Stubhampton.
16/29. Planning Matters: applications and notifications received
Applications and notifications received The Clerk reported that since the last meeting there had been three planning applications(Stubhampton Manor Farm, Dungrove to Bussey Stool Farm Lane, Home Farm) none of which had been opposed by the Parish Council. He said there had also been one Tree Topping Application for Old School House.
- Any other planning issues Ian Stone said there were no other planning issues to report on this occasion. Cllr Shephard said he wished to express his concern that since all plans were now electronically recorded and notified it was harder to scrutinise them. The Clerk said he thought it was important the Councillors looked closely at all the applications. Cllr Tatham said he thought an identified Councillor should take responsibility for each application that was made: he also suggested the details could be placed on the village website. The Chairman asked the Clerk to investigate and report back at the next meeting.
The Clerk reported that the Parish Council had been issued with a qualified return by the Auditors because “the annual return does not add up by £1”: he explained that this was because the internal auditor had rounded the figures to the nearest pound. The External Auditors had also said that the Council failed to approve the Return by June 30. Ian Stone said this was because the dates of Parish Council meetings did not fit in with the Auditor’s timetable.
16/31. Squires Playing Field: oral report from Trustees
Jim Farquharson said he had not been happy with the high cost of replacing the climbing nets in the playground and had now found estimates for a few hundred pounds. He said that material to be used was the same. Ian Stone and Chris Tatham said they supported this revised proposal. Cllr Robinson said he understood that Kevin Parker would continue to mow the Playing Field. Chris Tatham asked if Jim Farquharson could organise hedge cutting around the Playing Field. Jim Farquharson said he would be getting that area tidied up.
16/32. Correspondence received: briefing from Clerk
Ian Stone reported that he had received the following correspondence on behalf of the Council:
- The October Report from the three District councillors for Hill Forts Ward
- An invitation from Simon Hoare MP for the Chairman and Clerk to meet him
- A request for a response to consultation on the Local Government Finance Settlement
- A notification regarding road salt and filling salt bins
- A Town and Parish Council Questionnaire about reshaping councils in Dorset
- Details of the Plus Bus service
- An update report on the On Line Planning project
Cllr Bailey asked whether the Councillors supported making the number of parish councillors up to the full number permitted. Councillors unanimously agreed that another attempt should be made to do this. The Clerk agreed to draft a notice inviting parishioners to put themselves forward.
Cllr Robinson said that it was proposed to hold the next village fete on Saturday 10 June 2017.
16/34. Items from members of the public
There were no items.
16/35. To confirm dates of future meetings
Dates for 2017 meetings were agreed as follows: 7 February, 2May (also the AGM), 1 August, 7 November, 2 February 2018: all Tuesdays at 7.00pm in the Village Hall.
There being no further business the meeting closed at7.54 pm