THE DRAFT MINUTES OF A MEETING OF TARRANT GUNVILLE PARISH COUNCIL
HELD ON TUESDAY 23 MAY 2017
Present: Councillors Jim Shephard (Chair), Alan Bailey, Jim Farquharson, Geoff Percival, Charlie Regnart, Jan Robinson, Chris Tatham
In attendance: Ian Stone, Parish Clerk
Members of the public: There were 5 members of the public at the meeting
17/01. Welcome and Opening Remarks
The Chairman welcomed everyone to the meeting.
17/02. Apologies for absence
There were apologies for absence form District Councillor Piers Brown
17/03.Minutes of Meeting held on 7 February 2017
These were agreed as a correct record.
17/04. Matters arising from meeting held on 7 February 2017
- Superfast Broadband (16/38a) Cllr Bailey said that there seemed to be no movement at all on linking up the high speed broadband cabling. He said that the only way of progressing matters would be through enlisting the help of District Councillor Piers Brown. Cllr Shephard said he knew that problems with overhead cables at Harbins Park had not yet been resolved and this might be holding up progress. He said that he would do what he could to chase things up.
- Reports from Appointed Representatives and Committees (Defibrillators) (16/39) Cllr Percival said that there were now two defibrillators in the village along with the boxes to house them and also a training defibrillator. He said that they would shortly be installed and a further training session would be organised.
- Fence recently erected at Yew Tree Cottage: to discuss concerns (16/43) Cllr Robinson said that, as he had explained at the previous meeting, Mr Keith Carter had agreed to remove the lower parts of the fence across the river bed. Jan Robinson said that this had not yet been done but when it was done he would check with Roger Andrews, Flood Warden, to ensure matters were satisfactory.
17/05. Reports from appointed representatives and committees
Tony Langdown, Rights of Way Officer, said that the County Council had issued an order which would allow part of the T467 to be re-opened as a restricted byway. He said that the footpath section of the T467 was also likely to be re-opened and that this could be in July. He said that there seemed to be a deadline of 2026 for adding pre-1949 footpaths to maps. He explained that the only path in this category in the village had been routed along the rear of the bungalows to link up with China Lane – but he had no knowledge of any wish to re-open that path.
Roger Andrews, Flood Warden, said he had no issues to report.
Jan Robinson, Neighbourhood Watch Co-ordinator, said that there had been break- ins to garages and barns in the village. He had notified villagers by email shortly after the various incidents and as yet no one had been apprehended for these crimes. Alan Bailey said there had also been a spate of break-ins in Farnham.
Jan Robinson said that he and two others had now been trained in the Speedwatch procedures and had taken part in the County-wide Speedwatch programme. Geoff Percival said there were still concerns about speeding in Stubhampton where the national speed limit applied. Jan Robinson said he would take up this issue again. Alan Bailey said he thought it would be helpful to obtain data on the real speeds of vehicles through the village when they did not know they were being monitored. A member of the public said that she regretted that the Police and others did not seem to be able to locate premises in emergencies despite the issue of UPRNs for each property. Jan Robinson said that he understood that none of the emergency services used that system to find properties.
17/06. Planning Matters: applications and notifications received
- Applications and notifications received. The Clerk reported that 3 applications for tree works had been received since the last Council meeting: these were for the Manor and St Mary’s church. He said that the council members had made no objection to these applications.
- Any other planning issues. The Clerk reported that Council members had been invited to an informal presentation on site of potential plans to build a nine bedroom house on land at Furzey Down Farm. He said that three Councillors had attended: the Chairman and Cllrs Regnart and Robinson. Charlie Regnart said that the proposals seemed quite acceptable and Jan Robinson said he agreed with that view. Jim Shephard said that if the proposal was to be taken further then the Council would be invited to respond formally to a planning application and at that point it would seek views in the village. Cllr Tatham said he wished to inform the Council that a resident had drawn his attention to the girders that had been erected on the side of ‘Homers’, possibly for the construction of a hot tub. He said that this had been reported to the North Dorset Planning Department. They had told the Clerk that no plans had been submitted and that therefore an Enforcement Officer was to visit the site.
17/07. Great Dorset Steam Fair
Jan Robinson reported that two-for-one applications had been issued for all households in the village. He had also received 50 free tickets and he proposed that these should be offered to the village at £4 each. This money would allow the purchase of the Parish’s Speedwatch kit. This proposal was seconded by Charlie Regnart and supported unanimously.
17/08. Highway Issues
- Road Repairs. Cllr Bailey said he had concerns about the need for the outstanding repairs to the road edge in the village. The first was the poor state of the edge by the village hall bridge and the second was by the entrance to School House. He said both had a potential to cause a vehicle to drop into the river bed and he felt the County council should urgently attend to them. The Chairman asked the Clerk to contact the County to try to progress matters.
- Parish-funded roadworks. Alan Bailey said he realised there was a move to place the responsibility for carrying out minor road repairs onto parishes. He was concerned that work could be pushed onto parishes without the provision of funds or proper resources and he thought that should be resisted. This was supported by all Councillors.
- Speed Bumps. Alan Bailey said that whilst speed bumps worked in France to calm traffic he was aware that they increased fuel consumption and that some other traffic calming steps needed to be taken in the village. Charlie Regnart said he thought that the presence of speed cameras and frequent speed checks in the village could be an effective deterrent.
17/09. Financial Matters
The Clerk reported that in order to meet the requirements for external audit there would be the need for an additional Council meeting before the next scheduled meeting. The purpose of this extra meeting would be to approve the annual financial statements before they were submitted to the auditors. He said he would arrange a meeting in June once he had agreed the best date by email [subsequently agreed for Wednesday 28 June at 7pm in the Village Hall].
17/10. Squires Playing Field: oral report from the Trustees
Chris Tatham, Trustee, said that thanks were due to Jim Farquharson for providing help and support to the playground in various ways including organising the repairs. Jim Farquharson, Trustee, said that the second rope climb was not yet repaired but should be completed shortly. Cllr Robinson said it had been made clear to him that Kevin Parker would continue to cut the grass as his family would continue to rent the adjoining small holding. Ian Stone, Trustee, said he would contact Kevin Parker to ensure arrangements were in hand and that he would also contact RoSPA to arrange a safety inspection once the repairs were completed.
17/11. Freedom of Information: draft policy for Tarrant Gunville
The Clerk circulated a template policy on Freedom of Information on which a Parish policy could be based. Councillors agreed the draft was adequate to ensure the Parish was legally compliant with the Freedom of Information requirements. Ian Stone said he would prepare a final draft document for consideration at the August meeting.
17/12. Correspondence received: briefing from the Clerk
The Clerk said he had to report two items to the Council:
- He had been notified about a new approach to verges management which was being tried by Blandford Town Council. He had sent copies to all Councillors. Councillors said they did not want to pursue a separate approach for the Parish and were concerned that the new arrangements included less frequent cutting of the verges.
- The Clerk said he had told the previous meeting that it was a requirement that he change the Parish Clerk email address from a private one to an official government one. He said that he had now done this with the help of the DAPTC and his own computer consultant. He said that the Council therefore complied with the government requirements
17/13. Any other business
Paula Andrews, Transport Co-ordinator, said that she went to the final meeting of the Transport Action Group. At that meeting it was stressed that the County Council would work hard to provide alternative transport where services had been withdrawn. Paula Andrews said she felt it was going to be vital for parishes to keep in touch with each other and with the County about the possibilities of alternative transport services.
17/14. Items from members of the public
There were no items.
17/15. To confirm dates of future meetings
Dates for 2017 meetings were confirmed as follows: 1 August, 7 November, 2 February 2018: all Tuesdays at 7.00pm in the Village Hall.
There being no further business the meeting closed at 8.29pm