THE DRAFT MINUTES OF A MEETING OF TARRANT GUNVILLE PARISH COUNCIL HELD ON TUESDAY 4 AUGUST 2020
Present: Councillors Jim Shephard (Chair), Geoff Percival, Jan Robinson, Heather Sandison, Paul Wentworth
In attendance; Roger Andrews, Flood Warden; Ian Stone, Parish Clerk
Members of the public: There were nine members of the public at the meeting
20/01. Welcome and opening remarks
The Chairman welcomed everyone to the meeting and said that the meeting was being held on the village hall green to comply with Covid 19 requirements.
20/02. Apologies for absence
There were apologies from Cllrs Jim Farquharson and Charlie Regnart, Tony Langdown, Rights of Way Officer, Dorset Councillor Sherry Jespersen;.
20/03. Minutes of meetings held on Tuesdays 4 and 26 February 2020
These were agreed as a correct record.
20/04. Matters arising from those minutes
a) Any other urgent business (19/58) Ian Stone said that he had followed up the concerns about the apparent discharge of an oily substance into the Tarrant at the entrance to Orchard Chase. He said he had twice emailed Chris Westcott of the Environment Agency but it was at the start of the Coronavirus lockdown and he had not received any reply. He said he would chase this matter up as the initiative lay with the Agency.
20/05. Reports from appointed representatives and committees
Ian Stone said that Tony Langdown, Rights of Way Officer had told him there were no new items to report from the last few months
Roger Andrews, Flood Warden said that as he would soon be leaving the village he would need to be replaced in this role. Jim Shephard said the Council was very grateful for all that Roger Andrews had done as Flood Warden. He asked the Clerk to draft a suitable item to circulate to villagers asking if anyone would take over the task.
Jan Robinson, Neighbourhood Watch Co-ordinator, said he had updated the email list he used for keeping the Parish informed. He said he had also checked whether recipients of the emails though the system was working effectively and he had received positive replies. He said that Speedwatch operations had been suspended during the lockdown; he said he thought it would start again in September. He said that there was a sum of £430 held in the Council bank account, which was income from 2019 Steam Fair ticket sales, along with a separate sum in that account of £2179 held for Moviola equipment... Internal Auditor, Chris Tatham, who was attending as a member of the public, said that these sums may need to be held in a separate account in order to manage the finances correctly. The Clerk said he would pursue this matter with Cllr Robinson and Chris Tatham outside of the meeting.
20/06. Planning Matters
(a) Applications and notifications received
Ian Stone reported that there had been no planning applications received since the Council last met.
(b) Any other planning items:
1. Homers: creation of new vehicle entrance
Cllr Percival said that two residents had approached him to express concern over the increased size of the second entrance onto the road at Homers, concern that it seemed to be a business and also concern about the number of cars parked. Jim Bulpitt, owner of Homers and attending as a member of the public, said that he had discussed this with Roland Skeats of Dorset Highways. Mr Bulpitt said that his immediate neighbours both had similar entrances onto the same road and that furthermore when he purchased that land it had vehicle access marked on the deeds. He said he would soon be installing gates. Geoff Percival said that the entrance was created without planning permission. Mr Bulpitt said that cars were stored there until they were sold and the proceeds given to a charity “Recycling Lives” and that the vehicles would instead be stored in a yard in Blandford in the Autumn. Cllr Robinson said he did not think the activity really constituted a business, Cllr Wentworth said he proposed that nothing needed to be done, Cllr Sandison said she seconded that proposal and it was agreed by the Council.
2. The Old Forge: concerns lodged by Dr S OnslowCllr Robinson said that he thought there was wide agreement with the comments submitted to Parish Councillors by Sue Onslow and he had explored the issue with Dorset Councillor Sherry Jespersen. He said his view was that until a planning application was submitted there was nothing formal for the Council to do. A member of the public said that there was a concern that because the house was not listed there could be a development to the cottage that might be out of keeping with the village. He also said that, as mentioned in Dr Onslow’s email, there was an old AA sign on the cottage wall that needed to be preserved. Jan Robinson said that the organisation that dealt with listings was English Heritage and he proposed that he should approach them with the concerns - both those expressed to the meeting and those set out in Sue Onslow’s email. This was seconded by Heather Sandison and agreed.
20/07. Financial Matters: report from Clerk
Ian Stone reported that the Council’s bank balance was £4519.99 as at 1 July. However, this included £2179 which the Council was holding for the purchase of a Moviola and £430 held on behalf of Speedwatch. He said the true balance was therefore £1910. He also reported that the annual internal audit had been specified late and that he would complete it during August. He said he would then need to seek the Council’s approval and would do this on line rather than by calling another meeting.
20/08. Squires Playing Field: oral report from the Trustees
Ian Stone said he would report as a Trustee. He said that the playground and tennis court had been closed during the height of the lockdown but, following government guidelines, both had now reopened and Jim Farquharson had kindly printed notices explaining how the public should observe safety measures.
20/09. Correspondence received: briefing from the Clerk
Ian Stone said that he had received a letter from Simon Hoare MP expressing his gratitude for the way local Parish and Town Councils had worked for their communities during the Covid 19 lockdown. He said he had brought the letter for all Councillors to read.
20/10. Village Website: to consider a suggestion from Alan Bailey
Ian Stone said he had sent all Councillors the email containing Alan Bailey’s suggestions about passing on responsibility for the village website. Jim Shephard suggested that the role could be advertised through the Homewatch circulation list. Paul Wentworth said the website should continue to belong to the whole Parish, not the Parish Council. The Chairman asked the Clerk to draft a notice for circulation.
20/11. Damage to railings outside Old Home Cottage: to discuss
Jan Robinson said that the repair work had been carried out in the last few days and so there was no need to pursue this concern any further.
20/12. Any other business
Paul Wentworth said he had noticed that a bottom pane had been shattered in the telephone box and he would get it replaced. Sophie Tatham, who was attending as a member of the public, said she had joint responsibility with Vivian Stone for the Book Swap and she would be placing a notice in the kiosk asking people not to leave poor quality books.
20/13. Items from members of the public
A member of the public asked if the missing black and white edge markers on the bend by Homers could be replaced and the whole line be tidied up before the dark nights return. Ian Stone agreed to follow this up with Highways.
20/14. To confirm dates of future meetings
Ian Stone confirmed the meeting dates of Tuesday 3 November and Tuesday 2 February 2021. Both would be held at 7.00pm and would be either in the Village Hall or held via Zoom or similar arrangements.
There being no further business the meeting ended at 7.02pm.