THE DRAFT MINUTES OF A MEETING OF TARRANT GUNVILLE PARISH COUNCILHELD ON WEDNESDAY 15 AUGUST 2018
Present: Councillors Jim Shephard (Chair), Jim Farquharson, Geoff Percival, Jan Robinson, Paul Wentworth
In attendance: Ian Stone, Parish Clerk; Roger Andrews, Flood Warden; Tony Langdown, Rights of Way Officer; Piers Brown, District Councillor
Members of the public: There were no members of the public at the meeting
18/13. Welcome and Opening Remarks
The Chairman welcomed everyone to the meeting.
18/14. Apologies for absence
There were apologies from Cllrs Bailey and Regnart
18/15.Minutes of meeting held on 1 May 2018
These were agreed as a correct record.
18/16. Matters arising from meeting held on 1 May 2018
a) Superfast Broadband (18/04a) Cllr Brown said that he understood that all but 17 households in Tarrant Gunville were now able to take the broadband service from BT and that BT was working to resolve the remaining 17 addresses. He said that the Superfast Team at the County Council were pressing BT to expedite this.
b) Village Telephone Box: proposal for possible use (18/09) Cllr Wentworth said that he will try to paint the telephone box. He said it would need to have a new handle fitted. All agreed that the Council should fund the cost of a new handle and thanked Paul Wentworth for being willing to do this.
18/17. Reports from appointed representatives and committees
Roger Andrews, Flood Warden, said that the 30-day period set by the Environment Agency for removing the fence across the river bed at Yew Tree Cottage had expired without the work being done. He said that the Agency had extended the time to the end of August 2018 and he would wait for further information on progress from the Agency.
Jan Robinson, Homewatch Co-ordinator said that there would be 3 Speedwatch sessions conducted in the next 2 weeks. He had he was grateful to Susie Percival for raising concerns about speed in Stubhampton and he hoped something might come from that. He also said that there would be a temporary speed limit of 30 in Stubhampton for the duration of the Steam Fair.
Tony Langdown, Rights of Way Officer, said he wished to report that he and the Clerk had attended a meeting at County Hall to consider the possibility of an informal agreement to open the T467 footpath. He said the appeal by the landowner against the decision by DCC to open the path was ongoing and he did not think this process could be stopped; he thought this added a confusion to any informal opening of the path. Tony Langdown said he thought it would be in the Parish Council’s interest to register their ongoing interest and to consider submitting further evidence for the Public Enquiry that would consider the appeal in due course. The Chairman asked Tony Langdown and the Clerk to draft a response on behalf of the Council. Cllr Shephard said he would investigate the issue of the partially blocked footpath opposite Stubhampton House.
18/18. Planning Matters: applications and notifications received
a) Applications and notifications received. The Clerk reported that there had been 4 planning applications in the last quarter. These were, Cob Cottage, conversion of part of the house; Access Road to Eastbury Dairy Cottage – erecting a cattle barn; access to Harbins Park Farm – extension and improvements; Ivy Cottage – single story extension. He said that Councillors had seen all applications and had raised no objections.
b) Any other planning issues. Ian Stone said there were no other planning issues to raise
18/19. Financial Matters: to formally report audit process completed
The Clerk said that Chris Tatham had carried out an internal audit and had signed off the 2017/18 accounts as in order. Ian Stone said that the Council was required to approve this accounting statement, and the Chairman would then need to confirm this by signing and dating it. The Chairman asked members whether they were able to support the audit statement. Councillors gave their unanimous support and the Chairman signed the Accounting Statement.
Ian Stone said that he had submitted the Exemption Statement, agreed at the May 1st meeting of the Council, to the new external auditors shortly after the meeting but they appeared to have mislaid it and he had sent them a further copy, this time by recorded delivery. He said that there had been similar problems with a large number of small Councils in Dorset.
18/20. Squires Playing Field: oral report from the Trustees
Jim Farquharson, Trustee, said that the Trustees had agreed to fit a gate at the entrance to the Playing Field and arrangements were in hand to fit a combination lock. He said that the SSEGB work to move the transmitter pole onto Playing Field land had not yet started.
18/21. Great Dorset Steam Fair
Jan Robinson confirmed that the temporary extension of the 30-mph speed limit to Stubhampton would be imposed for the period of the Steam Fair and a short time either side of those dates.
18/22. Request for Speed Limit for Stubhampton: emails from Susie Percival
Cllr Percival said that Rolly Skeats had met Susie Percival and explained the requirements to be satisfied before a 30-mph restriction can be introduced and he had also described other possible options. From the meeting it was however clear that shortage of funds at County level would make an extension of the speed limit unlikely.
18/23. Clay Pigeon Shooting School
Cllr Robinson said that there were concerns from a number of villagers that the Shooting School near the old Barton Hill Dairy had exceeded the limit of 28 days in a calendar year and seemed to be continuing to hold sessions. He proposed that the Council should register its concern with the District Council asking them to ensure that the owner of the School obtained planning permission before holding any more events. Councillors agreed to this proposal and the Clerk was asked to write to the Planning Enforcement office on behalf of the Parish Council.
18/24. Any Other Business
District Councillor Piers Brown said that considerable efforts were now being made to ensure the best start for the new “Dorset Council” on 1 April 2019. The first concern was that essential services would continue to be provided. North Dorset District Council was making sure that it handed over a successful organisation which was managing well and doing so within its budgets.
Cllr Robinson said that there were concerns about the increase in HGVs using the village roads and he asked Jim Farquharson in his role as a Director of Eastbury Estates whether these were vehicles going to his businesses. He replied that these were vehicles moving seasonal products and he thought the level of traffic would reduce when the harvest was complete. In answer to a question from Jan Robinson Jim Farquharson confirmed that the weighbridge in his yard was open for public use from 7.30 am so long as an early booking had been made.
18/25. To confirm dates of future meetings
Dates for further meetings confirmed as follows: 6 November, and in 2019: 5 February, 7 May, 13 August, 5 November 2019 - all Tuesdays at 7.00pm in the Village Hall.
There being no further business the meeting closed at 8.17pm